Cultural goods of Šestanovac municipality

Archeological zone Vlake

North of the parish church in Katuni is a rocky plateau "Vlake". Its central part preserves the crossing of two Roman roads. The traces of these roads take place in the position of “Vlake” and it is about of so called “spurila’s” or ruts spaced about 1.4 meters, best preserved.On the southern part of the plateau, at its edge towards the village of Katun-Polje, the prehistoric "Kulina" fortress with its preserved ramparts (today the embankment) which are most striking on the eastern and northern sides. The western boundary of this protection runs along the road that leads from the Mandušići village to Gornji Rubić and, given its characteristics, probably established during the Middle or early New Age. The whole area represents one of the most preserved archaeological units of this type in Dalmatia.

Location: Katuni
Classification: archeological heritage
Time of origin: from the 10th century BC until 15th century

Cultural good mark: P-4124
Type: immobile cultural good – cultural – historical whole
Legal status: preventively protected cultural good

Image

Archeological finding Velika Peć

Image

The Velika Peć Cave is located on the northern slope of Sridnja gora, southeast from the village of Grabovac. In the cave space, you can descend through a large steep hole of oval shape. Research has shown that Velika peć was inhabited from the Neolithic to the Middle Ages. The oldest findings so far discovered, originate from the older neolithic. Numerous fireplaces and traces of fire burning indicate the long-term settling of the cave, until the Middle ages. All layers are rich in archaeological finds, especially eneolithic (Cetina culture) and layers from the Bronze age. 

Location: Grabovac
Classification: archeological heritage
Time of origin: from the year 5000 BC until the year 1500

Cultural good mark: Z-5999
Type: immobile cultural good – individually
Legal status: protected cultural good

The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (The Nativity of Mary) with the cemetery

The Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary with the cemetary in Grabovac is located in Biokovo valley, along with the old Napoleon Road connecting Split with Vrgorac. It was built around 1722 as a smaller single-nave structure of the proper orientation with a square apse at the site of the medieval cemetery, which is confirmed by the great preserved tombstones built in the oldest part of the church. In 1862, a new large ship was upgraded, and in the 1970s a two-storey bell tower was built in front of the main facade and then the church got its present appearance. The interior of the church is covered with painted bronze vaulted ornamented mosaics. The main and right side altar are marble and the left side altar is wooden and probably made in the Rako family workshop. 

Location: Grabovac
Classification: sacral architectural heritage
Time of origin: from the 15th century until the 19th century

Cultural good mark: Z-6692
Type: immobile cultural good – individually
Legal status: protected cultural good

Image

The Church of St. Roko

Image

At the intersection of the roads near the villages of Gornji Biskupovići and Laušići there is the church of St. Roko, around which the cemetery is located. It was built at the end of the 18th century, more precisely in 1794, as it is written in Bosnian Cyrillic on the lintel of the main entrance door. The Church is of the proper orientation, is of single-nave structure, of rectangular plan with a rectangular apse, with a bell cote above the facade with the stylistic features of the late baroque of local significance. According to the way of construction, it is evident that the church has been raised and expanded several times in the past. The earliest stage of the construction is recognized by the use of rough and irregularly carved stone, dating back to the 18th century. Until the last extension of the church came in 1991, when the church on the facade extends from 9.5 m to the total length of 14.5 m, and spreads from 5.5 to 7 m. The original lintel of the front door is retained, with a visible inscription engraved in Bosnian Cyrillic. The original six-pointed rosette, as well as the bell cote, was now elevated for one floor and the bell tower received two more bells. Decorated with vegetative motifs, flowers and stylized leaves in shallow relief. The side walls of the church are divided by five small rectangular shaped windows. On the south wall is the side entrance door. The double roof of the church is covered with an extruded roofing tile.

Location: Kreševo
Classification: sacral architectural heritage
Time of origin: 18th century

Cultural good mark: P-5307
Type: immobile cultural good - individually
Legal status: preventively protected cultural good

The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the old parish church of Katuni-Kreševo. It is a single-nave structure with rectangular layout with a rectangular apse, east-west oriented and a later-added chapel on the north side. It was rebuilt in 1722 on the site of an early Christian and medieval church. The church was built throughout the 18th century, and during its construction, the material of the older church was used as well as parts of the tombstones that were built on its foundations. The sanctuary of the church is painted, the main altar and the altars on all three sides as well as the large painting of F. Naldi from the 18th century are preserved.

Location: Katuni
Classification: sacral architectural heritage
Time of origin: 18th century

Cultural good mark: Z-4460
Type: immobile cultural good - individually
Legal status: protected cultural good

Image

Inventory of sacral objects in the old parish - Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The church's inventory includes 95 works of art made in the period from the 15th until 20th century. In the church there are 3 marble baroque altars with statues. On the wall of the ship is a picture of Filippa Naldi "The Last Judgment" from 1759, along with this one there are also pictures of: Ivan Nepomuk 19th century, Heart of Jesus and Heart of Mary from Giovanni Battista Filipi of Verona, 1857. There are 4 more statues in the church: Our Lady of Rosary, St. Joseph, St. John the Baptist, Our Lady of Health. The church is richly furnished with liturgical objects, among which the Gothic chalices, the baroque chalices and the 16th and 17th century monstrances, the crucifix, the mighty, the pacifical from 18th and 19th century. There are numerous religious gifts as well as several archaeological remains in the church. These are also the most valuable works of art in this church.

Location: Katuni
Classification: sacral/religious objects
Time of origin: from year 15 until year 20.
Author: Filipp Naldi – painter

Cultural good mark: Z-6646
Type: mobile cultural good – collection
Legal status: protected cultural good

Inventory form the church of St. Roko on Kreševo Brdo

The church of St. Roko on Kreševo Brdo is a single-nave structure, with a rectangular layout with a rectangular apse, with a bell cote on the front of the facade, east-west orientated. The church's inventory contains 23 artworks, ranging from the 16th and 17th century until the 20th century. In the sanctuary there is a neo-baroque wooden polychrome altar of the Rako workshop from Imotski, built in the 19th century. An exceptionally valuable small baroque portable altar with a sculptural composition of the Virgin with the Child in the iconographic scheme of Our Lady of the Rosary with St. Dominic and St. Catherine of Siena, from 1759. From the liturgical utensils, a chalice with paten from the 16th and 17th century, ciborium from the 17th and 18th century, 18th century procession crucifix and pacifical, 18th century candlesticks and the two Roman missals from years 1707 and 1767.

Location: Kreševo
Classification: sacral/religious objects
Time of origin: from 16th until 20th century.
Author: Rako workshop

Cultural good mark: Z-6702
Type: mobile cultural good – collection
Legal status: protected cultural good

The chapel of St. John the Baptist

The chapel of St. John the Baptist is in the village of Vrdoljaci, southwest of the village Grabovac in the municipality of Šestanovac. Family stone single-nave chapel with a semicircular apse was in 1875 built by Ivan Vrdoljak who was the local priest. The main facade has a centrally located portal, above which is a six-pointed rosette with a decorated border and ends with a one-piece bell cote. The interior of the chapel is covered with a barrel vault, and the interior is dominated by a painted and relief-decorated wooden altar that is supposed to originate from the local workshop of the Rako family from Imotski, which made baroque wooden altars for the Imotski and Vrgorac border churches in the second half of the 19th century.

Location: Grabovac
Classification: sacral architectural heritage
Time of origin: from the beginning of the 19th until the end of the 19th century

Cultural good mark: Z-6760
Type: immobile cultural good – individually
Legal status: protected cultural good

Image
Image

The Statue of the Virgin Mary

The sculpture depicts the Virgin who sits on the clouds surrounded by angels, with her hands folded in a prayer position with her head slightly sloping to the left and looking to the left. There's a rosary in her hand. It is an iconographic representation of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the skies (The Assumption of Mary). The Virgin is dressed in a gold dress over which a golden cloak is thrown over that playfully descends in harmony of wrinkles, making the sculpture vibrate with the game of light and shadow. The Virgin is placed on a square wooden pedestal.


Location: Katuni
Classification: sacral/religious objects
Time of origin: from the beginning of the 18th until the end of the 18th century

Cultural good mark: P-5026
Type: mobile cultural good – individually
Legal status: preventively protected cultural good

Mandušića tower

On the northern part of the village Mandušići in Katuni, on a slightly elevated terrain, there is Mandušići tower, a fortified tower house from the 15th century which served as a settlement for defense. The tower is constructed as a free-standing rectangular storey, measuring 6 × 5.53 × 5.50 m, oriented southwest. It was built rustically with a sloping stone slanted in rows. At the corners, it is reinforced with larger and better processed ashlars. You could access the floor through the stone porch through the small, arched door of the ashlars of the right form on the south facade. On the west facade there is a smaller arched doorway with ashlars through which you can enter the basement with a stone barrel vault. On the north and south side of the door on the inner side there is an antique exterior. Smaller rectangular windows are located on the east and west gables. In more places around the tower, there are smaller openings that served as loopholes. The tower originally had a double roof (today demolished) with a stone slab covering. In front of the tower on the west side there are ruinous remains of the auxiliary building.

Location: Katuni, Mandušići
Classification: profane architectural heritage
Time of origin: 17th century

Cultural good mark: Z-6772
Type: immobile cultural good – individually
Legal status: protected cultural good

Image

Complex Bolčić

Image

In the village of  Bolčići there is a housing estate, organized around the open courtyard, with distinctive characteristics of the economic difference of space. The "u" shaped floor plan consists of houses leaning against each other and connected to external communication.The assembly is made up of indigenous materials, walled by the local stone "modrac", irregularly carved stone blocks of different dimensions, carefully connected by narrow bed joint reinforcements and composed in rows, and in the manner of construction the craftsmanship and architectural ability of the rural builders is visible. Due to the position of the constitution on the sloping ground, the exterior spaces of the assembly are particularly well-shaped, with stone fences, porch fences with drains, entrance stairs, niches and benches. The assembly represents a beautiful example of the original, well-preserved housing and economic structure.

Location: Žeževica, village Bolčići
Classification: profane architectural heritage
Time of origin: 19th century

Cultural good mark: Z-5979
Type: immobile cultural good – individually
Legal status: protected cultural good

The parish church of St. George the Martyr

Church of St. George the Martyr in Žeževica is built on the Mount Orje, on a medieval site, dominating the landscape of space. The Archbishop Katić has mentioned it in 1739 in his visit, after which it has been redesigned on several occasions. The oldest part of today's church is the central part of the ship. The single-nave building with a quadruple apse was built in 1754 and later the semicircular apse was built toward east. For the construction, the ashlar was assembled in regular rows. The original cover was not preserved, but the cover of the ribbed sheet was recently introduced. In front of the main entrance, a two-floor bell cote of a closed circuit was built in 1935 with a simple lodge and a pyramid-shaped finish. Around the church is a cemetery, surrounded with a stone fence with the main entrance to the west, led by stone stairs from the 19th century.

Location: Žeževica
Classification: sacral architectural heritage
Time of origin: 18th century

Cultural good mark: Z-5933
Type: immobile cultural good – individually
Legal status: protected cultural good

Image

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.